Everton confirm Rooney's move to DC United

The 32-year-old forward is expected to arrive in Washington at around 7pm BST on Thursday and will hold a news conference at the MLS club on Monday.
Rooney has signed a three-and-a-half-year contract and will complete the formalities of his move when the MLS transfer window opens on July 10.
Everton said in a statement: "From everyone at Everton, we thank Wayne for his service to the club and wish him every success in the next three-and-a-half years with DC United."
"It is fantastic to be joining DC United at such an exciting time in the club's history with the new stadium opening in just a few weeks," Rooney said.
"Moving to America and MLS fulfils another career ambition for me. I have the hunger to be a success here and will give DC 100 per cent - as I have always done for every team I have ever played for.
"When I visited earlier this summer I was really impressed with everyone I met connected with the club, and of course the new Audi Field.
"Now I can't wait to get on the pitch in a United shirt and join my new team-mates to bring success to this club."
Rooney is understood to have secured a visa and work permit and could begin training with his new team-mates by the end of the week.
He could make his debut on July 14 against Vancouver Whitecaps at the opening of the new £140m 20,000-seater Audi Field stadium in Washington.
Once his MLS career is over, Rooney is expected to return to Goodison Park as a coach after reportedly negotiating a deal with Everton.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transfer Latest